Monday, June 24, 2013

Thinking about Fourth of July

I've been seeing all sorts of posts on Facebook about great foods that work well with 4th of July.  And almost all of them I've seen, are the really really bad kind for you.  Ribs, cakes, cookies, briskets, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc etc.  Don't get me wrong, they look really really good, especially when they are so daunting as to include pictures.  Seriously: drool-worthy.  But is a no-no.

I am not totally into Fourth of July to begin with.  My parents were never the great "Grill-Masters", never really had the "Flag-Cake", barely even acknowledged the holiday even existed, except for staying at home to stay away from the craziness that became supermarkets and highways.  People driving to and from barbecues and camp-grounds, with fireworks and their special homemade BBQ sauce.

I started to think, there are so many festive ideas to celebrate Fourth of July.  However, it would be nothing more for an excuse for me to bring out the folding chairs, the mini George Foreman grill, and a new kind of Smirnoff!

I want to make some burgers with turkey meat.  Mix in kale, spinach and tons of other veggies, even some spicy ones!  With some whole wheat hamburger buns!

Was also thinking about "Shish-kabobs" Pieces of chicken, and veggies sprinkled with garlic salt and lemon juice, and grilled on the GF grill!

Then, what got me thinking about Fourth of July festivities in the first place, is http://www.5dollardinners.com/real-food-patriot-dessert-the-fruit-flag/



I had just gotten some blueberries and strawberries at the grocery store!! I was just going to put some yogurt with the fruit, but look at the link!! Look at that picture!! It's so cute! I won't lie, I'll probably do some vanilla yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, and top it off with cool whip and granola (Or something I can sprinkle on top!)


No comments:

Post a Comment